Vintage Erotica Forums

Vintage Erotica Forums (http://vintage-erotica-forum.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion & News (http://vintage-erotica-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Cable/Satellite TV (http://vintage-erotica-forum.com/showthread.php?t=170907)

Davemetalhead August 14th, 2011 09:05 PM

I remember Sky way back in '91 - full of old American and Aussie programs, the cheaper the better. It's biggest selling point was they had "The Simpsons". I don't think Sky had any original programing in those days, or anything British for that matter.

Estreeter August 15th, 2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davemetalhead (Post 1712244)
I remember Sky way back in '91 - full of old American and Aussie programs, the cheaper the better. It's biggest selling point was they had "The Simpsons". I don't think Sky had any original programing in those days, or anything British for that matter.

Sky is owned by Murdoch, is that correct ?
I like Aussies ;):thumbsup:

Mal Hombre August 15th, 2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

They still don't have much and what they go have isn't very good.

KingKeigh August 17th, 2011 05:15 AM

I gave it up a long time ago. Used to have DirectTV (satellite). A friend hooked me up with a rigged box that got all the channels including all the pay channels. I just had to pay $45/month for basic. It was sweet at first but then I realized even with 400 channels to watch, there's still really isn't anything on worth watching past the first week of the month. Then my job got in the way and after awhile, I wasn't even watching it once or twice a week except for basketball, football, UFC or boxing matches. After the recession hit in '08, cable became a casualty and I dropped it. I still don't miss it. Too many reality shows. But I miss TMC, AMC, IFC and Sundance. Thank God for the internet and Netflix.

scoundrel August 17th, 2011 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estreeter (Post 1712968)
Sky is owned by Murdoch, is that correct ?
I like Aussies ;):thumbsup:

Is King Rupert actually still Australian (technically)? Last I heard he was going to be Turkish in order to acquire a satellite network in Turkey? I believe he's American as well...

j6251 August 17th, 2011 12:56 PM

Here in the UK I used to subscribe to our main one for most of their channels at SKY. They were good, had some really great stuff on, but the repeats/re-runs were incredible and there were waaay too many. Eventually I decided to stop subbing to them and now just have the standard stuff.

I also subbed to The Adult Channel and Television X for the odd month. Do not do this ever if you want value for money! You'd be better off watching an old "Carry On" movie or anything cheeky from the 70's.

I can see that nowadays though, satellite tv seems to have improved in the UK, so who knows, I may sub again in the future.

Estreeter August 17th, 2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoundrel (Post 1715334)
Is King Rupert actually still Australian (technically)?

Only until I declare him not ;)

Anyway, back too TV, One thing that to an extent annoys me are the repeats, :(, but some of them I watch again and again, like Air Crash Investigation, don't know why, but I do.

But then along comes a new series that gets ya hooked, like lately, Conspiracy Theory With Jesse Ventura :eek: or the one I'm watchin' right now, Inside The Vietnam War

palo5 August 17th, 2011 06:19 PM

I used to have a 'large' cable package with 50-60 channels, but then they remixed the packages, and the mixes were so bad that not one was worth paying for

So now I just have the basic 'free' package, which still gives me everything I need, like Al Jazeera :D

(Actually, AJ is a quality news outlet. It's just that my life isn't focused on the ME)

BBC World is ok. RT is awful, because they don't give real Russian news and don't speak Russian. DW is the same, but at least they speak German half of the time. TV Monde is incomprehensible for me (mostly)

Swedish TV is... well, very boring (at least what I get) and must be only for Swedes. Finnish TV is better, because they show series etc from different languages, although many shows are very old. But Finnish news will send you to sleep

From my old cable package I miss the comedy channel CNBC (and the boobs of Caruso Carrera), and SkyNews because of the weather girl Lucy :D

kiwali August 17th, 2011 06:31 PM

Quote:

I think is a normal way of work for tv operators arround the world. In Spain what pay chanels aired is the same, everything comes from overseas
Well, 80% comes from USA, a few shows from the UK and a few from Germany......Normally pay chanels aired americas top viewed shows:2 and a half man, bones, CSI, big band theory....and fill the schedule with old seasons or all shows and sports chanels could be called foatball chanels: La Liga, The premier league, Serie A, Bundesliga, Japan league, portuguese league......

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoundrel (Post 1715334)
Is King Rupert actually still Australian (technically)? Last I heard he was going to be Turkish in order to acquire a satellite network in Turkey? I believe he's American as well...

I´ve always believed he was from Atlanta..............has the headquarters there, he is the owner of the Atlanta teams........but is australian

martyghia August 17th, 2011 06:56 PM

Used to have the full sky package, then realised the movies were repeated that often I would have been cheaper buying a cheap copy to watch over & over- got rid of them, watched the sports channel only for the football which meant for 2 months of the summer they were never visited-got shot of them-then the sky box packed up & sky wouldnt replace it. Best thing to happen, spent a week surfing the net & found all the free sites offering american shows, movies sports along with BBC iplayer, 5 oD...etc never looked back.
Also if your only watching catch up or downloading shows no licence required...total saving £30+ a month + £140 stealth tax a year=£500 notes in my pocket...:D