View Single Post
Old October 2nd, 2009, 04:13 PM   #29
Zombywoof
Blocked!

Zombywoof 2500+Zombywoof 2500+Zombywoof 2500+Zombywoof 2500+Zombywoof 2500+Zombywoof 2500+Zombywoof 2500+Zombywoof 2500+Zombywoof 2500+Zombywoof 2500+Zombywoof 2500+

I've found this thread quite fascinating, because I too am infuriated by the livejasmin popunder that seems to be everywhere these days. Everyone trying to get rid of it has devoted their attention to the javascript that calls up the window, but I felt there had to be an easier way.

What I did was focus on the cookies, because it's the cookies that determine whether the javascript runs. These cookies don't come from livejasmin, they're set by VEF. It seemed to me that if you had the right cookie on your machine, the javascript that pops up livejasmin would not run. So I set out to find the cookie.

This was easy to do, all you need to do is use the native cookie app in Firefox to delete all the VEF cookies. In this way, you start with a clean slate, so to speak.

The first order of business is to navigate to the VEF site and see what cookies are set. As soon as you reach the VEF login page, three cookies appear, but they don't matter because none of them trigger livejasmin.

You enter your username, then click on the password box in preparation for entering your password. BINGO! This is the action that triggers the popunder. And sure enough, there is now a new cookie named, appropriately, "popundr".

I felt that if this "popundr" cookie was present whenever you clicked the VEF password box, the livejasmin window would not appear. Therefore, the problem could be solved by preventing the expiry of the popundr cookie.

I used a cookie editor to extend the expiry date of the popundr cookie by one year. Then I deleted all the other VEF cookies, and all the cookies set by the livejasmin window. Clean slate again.

Now, I navigated to the VEF login page. Same three unimportant cookies appeared. Entered username, then clicked down to the password box. Ah! Different behaviour this time, no livejasmin popunder! Completed the login, and one more cookie appeared.

So it is the "popundr" cookie (or absence thereof) that triggers the script that calls livejasmin. If you can prevent this cookie from expiring, you will not be bothered by livejasmin and you will not need to install and configure Noscript, because it's the cookie that decides whether the script runs.
Zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote