Thread: Phyllis Kirk
View Single Post
Old August 5th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #4
carolaholic
Veteran Member

Thanked 32,408 Times in 806 Posts
carolaholic 100000+carolaholic 100000+carolaholic 100000+carolaholic 100000+carolaholic 100000+carolaholic 100000+carolaholic 100000+carolaholic 100000+carolaholic 100000+carolaholic 100000+carolaholic 100000+
Default Phyllis Kirk . . .

. . . in assorted photos.

This lady, long ago, precipitated my first crush on a TV or movie star. (Not that I didn't notice Annette Funicello a year later.) When I saw her on the TV version of The Thin Man, something went boinnnngggg in the rotten kid. I've been meaning to dig out some items and post them after I noticed that George Anson had started a Phyllis Kirk thread (for which, many thanks, George), and I've finally gotten around to it. (Well, some of it . . .) Bring on the pics:

First, three stills from The Sad Sack, a 1957 Jerry Lewis movie I've never seen (not sure how I missed it, since I greatly enjoyed his movies and TV specials back then, though not as much now -- though I still don't share the near-universal dislike most people seem to have for him. And, no, I'm not French.) That's David Wayne with her in the first pic, Jerry Lewis on the couch in the second pic (is she playing an Army shrink?), and I think Wayne is smooching her in the third, while Lewis and an unknown guy stand by.

Then, a still from another movie I've never seen (some fan I am!), City After Midnight, so I can't shed any light on just how dire her character's situation is in this pic.

Then a couple of stills from the 1956 movie Back from Eternity, which I saw on TV a few years ago, and was sorry that I hadn't taped it (some fan I am!). That's Gene Barry on the right in the second pic, and I don't recognize the man in the middle (Robert Ryan?). Later: Many thanks to rkphidelt, who has identified the other man in the photo as Robert Ryan.

Then a couple of stills from TV anthology shows, the first one from, according to a note taped to the back of the photo, Hollywood Summer Theater, Friday, Aug. 17 (1957), the second from "Duffy's Man," an episode of Ford Theater, 1956. I've also scanned the documentation that was attached to the second photo.

Finally, a couple of small photos. I don't know if they're connected with any movie or TV appearance. In the first photo, she's wearing a vest or armless sweater with her name on it (a signature on the photo in white ink, maybe?). The second photo has a signature (also?) which might be hers; however the photo I have is a photo of a signed photo, rather than one which was individually signed. That's also true of the first photo below, if her name there is a signature. If both are signatures, they don't look alike to my inexpert eye.

She looked very different in the early 1950s than she did in the late 1950s (which was when The Thin Man came on). When I saw House of Wax in the late 1970s, I kept wondering if there was another actress named Phyllis Kirk, since she looked so different with her hair up. I think the last time I saw her on TV (rather than in a movie on TV) was on Dick Cavett's late-night talk show in 1970 or 1971. Cavett's a short guy, and most of his guests were as tall as or taller than him, but she was noticeably shorter, which was a surprise. (Peter Lawford, on The Thin Man, must have been a shrimp.) I was sorry to learn later that her career declined in the 1960s and that she had health problems. And that's enough nostalgia for now.

Last edited by carolaholic; January 11th, 2014 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: Passed on I.D. of an actor. Later: tweaked the text.
carolaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to carolaholic For This Useful Post: