Thread: Phyllis Kirk
View Single Post
Old August 17th, 2012, 04:58 AM   #5
carolaholic
Veteran Member

Thanked 32,406 Times in 806 Posts
carolaholic 100000+carolaholic 100000+carolaholic 100000+carolaholic 100000+carolaholic 100000+carolaholic 100000+carolaholic 100000+carolaholic 100000+carolaholic 100000+carolaholic 100000+carolaholic 100000+
Default Phyllis Kirk in a couple from the late 1950s . . .

. . . one from the April 11-17, 1959 issue of TV Guide, with two facing pages:

The spread's timing, near the end of the TV "season" is ironic, since, IIRC, The Thin Man was only on for two seasons, and was not renewed for the 1959-1960 season.

Later addition: And here are the four photos of the lady, cropped into separate pics. Since other things protrude into her space in each photo, I did some whiteing out to remove them, though I couldn't do anything about the gloves in her hand in the left photo on the second page obscuring part of her skirt in the middle photo without making it worse.

Most of a year earlier, This Week, a weekly tabloid that was inserted in Sunday newspapers (like Parade, which is still around) had a cover story about the lady in its August 17, 1958 issue. Since the magazine was larger than my scanner will accomodate, I had to scan the cover in two takes, and the second page had a photo of the lady, rather overdressed for the beach (where the caption claimed she was) which I had to scan separately from the text and photos at the top of the page. The white arc at the bottom of the first scan in the second row is where I whited out the top of her head where it overlapped into the scan.

And now for some separate scans of the cover and interior photos. The magazine was printed on paper barely a step above the quality of paper used in newspapers, so they'll be kinda grainy:

I'm skeptical of the height (5 feet, 5 inches) the article attributes to the lady. As I said in an earlier post, Dick Cavett is a short guy (though I don't know his actual height), and when she was on his show in 1970 or 1971, he was noticeably taller than Ms. Kirk.

P.S. I thought to check online, and IMDB and some other sites give Cavett's height as 5 feet, 3 inches, though a couple gave his vertical dimension as 5 feet, 6 inches. According to IMDB, Peter Lawford was 6 feet tall, though other sites say 5 feet, 11 inches. And the lady's height, according to online sources, was 5 feet, 5 inches. At which point, I give up . . .

Last edited by carolaholic; January 11th, 2014 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: Fixed a typo. Later: clarified a couple of sentences and added a P.S.
carolaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to carolaholic For This Useful Post: