View Single Post
Old October 26th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #204
darkmoonfire

darkmoonfire 100+darkmoonfire 100+darkmoonfire 100+darkmoonfire 100+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingBuddhist View Post
Okay... I know the Internet's a business, and popups and pop unders are just a part of the game. They're annoying but (hopefully) easily clicked to close. BUT - when a pop under has an unnecessarily loud and bass busting soundtrack? One that wakes up everyone in the family within the 4 seconds it takes to close the window? I call that ridiculous and extreme. So I'm asking that people stop using Imagebam to upload pictures.

Do I expect this to really have an effect on their business? Not really. I guess I just wanted to vent. Then again, if enough people agree...

The music probably is annoying (I use adblock, so I don't hear it). However the really dodgy thing with those pop under ads is that they try to connect to your computer.

I don't use noscript (because it's actually more of a hassle than the pop-unders -- fortunately few sites use pop-unders). But I do have a firewall set up, and every time that pop-under generates it tries to connect to my computer. It's easily blocked by the firewall, but if you don't have a firewall, then whomever is running that ad is harvesting info from your computer.

That plus the fact that imagebam is down for maintenance every other day means that I'm joining the chorus -- stop using that damn site PLEASE!
darkmoonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darkmoonfire For This Useful Post: